Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Howdy!!!

June 27, 2016


This week has been super awesome! I think that I say that every week but they just keep getting better and better! We are getting a new mission president tonight. He is super young! He and his wife are 37. It is going to be interesting to see how the mission will change. 

Our last picture as a Zone with our current Mission President and his wife
Our new Mission President and his wife.
Jose and Vicky Torres from Honduras.
They even have 4 young children.
This week we had like 4 exchanges. We went by Odon's house the other day. He had been living with that member in their shed. We talked to the member and he moved out! She can't tell us where he is. I think he had told the state that she had been taking money from him and I think things were left with some hard feelings. She was crying when we talked to her about it. (Sorry this letter is going to be super ADD and all over the place. I forgot my planner and I forgot what we even did this week!) We have been fasting trying to find Odon. We have been looking in old folks' homes and we are trying to figure out what company the member works for so that we can find him. I know that the Lord will provide and that we will see a miracle. It's just a matter of when. So pray that we can find Odon!!

Texas sunset
Miguel came to church yesterday!! Sister Eggett and I had been talking about whether we should hand him over to the missionaries in Mexico or if we are allowed to keep teaching him. We talked with the Branch President and he said to ask our mission leaders so we talked to the District and Zone leader and they said that someone that day who is from Mexico got baptized in our zone so that it was okay that we still taught him. That was a huge relief for me! He sung his Book of Mormon song for the members at the church. They all thought he was a member! It was awesome. He brought Sister Eggett and I little gifts. She got earrings and he gave me a bracelet with a bunch of crosses on it haha. The other day we were teaching him in the library and I was trying to explain something I don't remember what so I said it in English and then he started talking English. I was like "Miguel I didn't know your English was so good this whole time!" I asked him if he even understood our lessons when we teach him and I guess he does haha so that's a relief! We have been teaching him for almost two months and I didn't know he spoke English! 

Miguel teaching me to play the guitar like a Mexican
In the library they have this little room where they sell old books for like fifty cents and so I bought a couple Spanish books. And when I say Spanish books I mean a first grade reading book. I was pretty pumped about those. Let's see what else happened this week. I stayed in the area on exchanges for most of them and so we had a lot of bike days. That was a dumb idea on my part. It's so hot down here and biking in it is not so magical. It's the best when we knock on people's doors and they open. Their first reaction is always "do you need some water?!" I feel like I always look homeless, its fine. The other day we were getting annoyed that our water bottles in the car turn into boiling water. So we started to bring packets of hot chocolate and apple cider in the car. It made it less gross to drink haha. 

Our hot water bottles
Hot chocolate and 100 degrees!
Things have been super great down here! Sister Eggett and I work super well together. Our goal is to make the members in our branch love us! We don't even need to try;) I've learned a lot from her. 

Coloring with the ninos
I love you all! I'm so grateful for your love and support. I love being a missionary and I am so grateful for the things that I have learned from these wonderful people of Texas. My heart is so full and my body aches;) but I wouldn't have it any other way. I know that God has a special plan for each and every one of us. I know that once we forget about the life we want for ourselves that He can show us a much better life! There is no greater joy than helping others. I'm grateful for my parents who have been the perfect example of compassion and service. 

Our district
I love you all! 
                                            Hermana Thompson 

No comments:

Post a Comment